photo Header_zps11b14c46.png

May 29, 2013

Drugstore Makeup Finds

 Like most women I am always searching for new products. I am guilty of the impulse makeup buy every time I go into a CVS or Target. You know the deal, you go in for toothpaste and walk out $50 later with a bag of "stuff".

 The packaging is what usually gets my attention first. I am a sucker for really great packaging (maybe that's the designer in me...).  Most drugstores don't have testers that you can sample like you can in Sephora or Ulta.  I tend to grab the color that is most appealing to me or I believe is closest to my skin tone only to have the product be completely off tone and sit in my makeup area opened and never used. I literally have a slew of bags and bins filled with blushes, eye shadows and foundations that were just off and I have never bothered to return.

I have my staples of higher end products that I use but because they come with a hefty price tag (I will do another post with these products in the near future) so I decided I really need to invest in everyday wearable makeup that doesn't hurt my wallet and save the more expensive ones for going out at night and special occasions. Plus I find the more expensive products come with less product. How annoying is that?



I took a "selfie" today with the five drugstore makeup finds on and my three must have products I will be listing below.


 First let me say if you are going to invest money into any beauty product you should splurge on a great moisturizer. I previously used Hope In A Jar by Philosophy daily but after a while I realized that my skin is changing as I am getting older and it was time to try something new. I found that I like serums and oils best now. I currently use Josie Maran Argan Oil and absolutely love it. That is always my first step in my fight against aging. My second step is to put on Boots No7 Protect and Perfect Serum. A little goes a long way with this product. I use it on my face and neck. My third step is my new find Benefit It's Potent! eye cream. This is great for helping to minimize those pesky dark circles that just never seem to go away even after 12 hours of sleep (if your ever lucky enough to sleep that long) and let's face it, we never do. My fourth and final step before applying my makeup is to use Benefit POREfessional. This balm minimizes the appearance of your pores and is really the only primer you will ever need. So when I spend money on products, it's on the ones that I don't wash off at the end of the day.

I like more natural looking daytime makeup. Less is more approach I'd say. I have olive skin (thanks to my Italian and Chilean background) and it can be tough to find a foundation that matches my skin tone without being to pinky beige or too ghostly. 

I fell in love with L'Oreal True Match. I wear Sun Beige (W6) and it matches my skin perfectly. It's not a heavy foundation and really lasts all day long. It even covers up those dark circles which is key! 

To help my eyes look bright and natural I use  Maybelline Eyestudio Color Tattoo  cream shadow in Inked in Pink. It doesn't crease and truly stays on for 24 hrs. Let's face it, we are all guilty of going to bed without taking our makeup off once in a while and I have woken up with this eye shadow still on. Plus it's great as a highlighter if you are wearing a heavier   color going out at night. 

I brighten up my cheeks and add a pop of color with Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso. It gives the perfect peachy pink glow.

 To finish off my daytime look I usually only wear mascara. I have always mixed mascara brands. I guess it's like mixing lipstick to get the perfect color. I mix these two to give me the perfect full yet long natural looking lashes without the clumps. First I put on L'Oreal Voluminous mascara in Carbon Black and then I put on one coat of Rimmel Lash Accelorator in black. I also put a little on my lower lashes.  
I slab a little Buxom lipgloss in Dolly on and I am out the door.


This makeup routine takes me 5-10 minutes a day start to finish. It's simple, quick and inexpensive. Who doesn't love that? You get a natural looking face without going broke. Now that's a two-fer!


XO,



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post Gina. I use the L'Oreal True Match makeup and agree that is comparable to the higher priced makeup. I never thought about layering my mascara until now and I will be purchasing that blush next time I go to the drugstore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. I think you'll really like layering the mascara. The brands I use may not work for everyone or the combination may need to be tweaked depending on what you are looking for in a mascara. Luminoso is very similar to Nars Orgasm in my opinion, just without the price tag. Plus it adds a bit of shimmer to give you a glow!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Loreal True Match!! If you put it on with your fingers it's a better coverage, I was using a makup brush for a while but found it looks better and lasts longer if you use finger tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin, I honestly never tried using my fingers with this foundation, I always use a beauty blender. I am going to try it next time. Thanks for the tip :) xo

      Delete
  3. I completely agree with you on having a great moisturizer. And the Josie Maran Argan Oil! I use it religiously! I haven't tried the It's Potent! eye cream yet but I've heard great things about it, and I love the Porefessional. Best primer ever. I really like the Color Tattoos too - Inked In Pink is one of my go-tos! I get way too excited about makeup.

    And I didn't know you were part Chilean! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete